Too Faced - Chocolate Bar Palette Review + Swatches!

I bought this palette as a gift for myself on my 18th birthday.
(Clearly I give the best gifts lol)

A palette that looks exactly like a chocolate bar??? YES PLEASE.
Being a self proclaimed chocoholic, I knew I needed this palette in my life.
As if the amazing packaging wasn't enough, the shadows actually smell like cocoa!!
Since Too Faced first promoted this palette, the packaging has changed. It's now much slimmer and has a magnetic closure.

I've had this palette for a while now and it's currently my favourite. It's super versatile, the shadows are great and pigmented and last for hours on end.
Definitely a staple for your makeup collection.


 
 
It has 16 shadows all with a mixture of mattes, shimmers and frosts.
There are 2 highlight shades in bigger pans than the regular shadows. One matte and one shimmer.
 
 

 
Just a quick sidenote.....those names though!! Don't they make you just wanna take a bite of that palette? (Full disclosure, I'm super hungry rn.)
 
The quality and pigmentation of each shadow varies. The palette is not without faults sadly and there are certainly a few misses in this group.
 
Right off the bat, one thing I don't like at all about this palette is the little plastic sheet with the names of the shadows. I really wish the names were printed on the actual palette...but that's not really a major issue. It's just a little pet peeve of mine.
 
Let's do some swatches:
 

Top row from L-R: Gilded Ganache, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge
Middle Row From L- R: Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto
Bottom Row from L-R: Hazel Nut, Crème Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle 
 
 Here are some more close up shots of the shadows:
 

 
 
  • Gilded Ganache - a warm shimmery dark espresso colour with neutral undertones and gold sparkles. Reflects almost olive green in bright light. I found this shadow to be slightly chalky but still blendable.
     
  • White Chocolate - A matte yellow toned beige. Soft & smooth texture that applies effortlessly. Not powdery at all.
        
  • Milk Chocolate - A warm toned cappuccino brown with a matte finish. Applies smoothly and is extremely blendable.
      
  • Black Forest Truffle -  A glittery brown with bronze undertones. Texture was powdery and there was fallout when applied.
       
  •  Triple Fudge - Dark brown with earthy undertones and minor silvery-gold flecks of glitter throughout. Smooth and blendable. Slightly chalky but powdery at all.
      
  •  Salted Caramel - A muted terracotta shade with slightly warm orangey undertones. Matte finish. This shade is a perfect transition shade. Soft texture but slightly powdery. Minimal fallout occurred.   
         
  •  Marzipan - A beautiful champagne rose gold with peachy undertones. Frost finish. Super buttery smooth and soft. Blends wonderfully.
           
  •  Semi-Sweet - A matte milk chocolate brown with subtle flecks of miniscule glitter. The glitter is barely noticeable when applied on the lids. Slightly powdery but easily blendable.
       
  •  Strawberry Bon Bon - A pale cool toned baby pink with a flat matte finish. I found this shadow exceedingly difficult to work with. It was dry, powdery and hard. The only shadow (so far), which lacked pigmentation. Applied poorly on the lids.
           
  •  Candied Violet - A very shimmery darkened purple with lighter purple glitter present throughout. Shadow is slightly chalky & powdery. Difficult to blend and there was fallout when applied.
           
  • Amaretto - A shimmery bronze with warm reddish undertones. Soft and buttery, applied amazingly and blends like a dream.
       
  • Hazel Nut - A shimmery golden bronze with brassy undertones. Smooth and buttery, easily buildable.
        
  • Crème Brulee - A coppery gold with earthy undertones and a metallic finish. At first this shade applied beautifully and blended just fine. After a few uses I've noticed the shadow drying and becoming more difficult to get a good colour payoff.
         
  • Haute Chocolate - A muted medium brown with neutral undertones and a frosted finish. Its pigmentation seems to be a little a little lacking however it is buildable.
        
  • Cherry Cordial - A deep matte reddish brown with miniscule flecks of glitter. Texture is chalky and there was fallout when applied.
         
  • Champagne Truffle -A soft gentle pink with a pronounced golden sheen and a frost finish. Smooth, buttery and blends perfectly. Truly a beautiful highlight shade.
 
My ultimate favourite from this palette is Marzipan. It's classy, elegant and the texture is to die for. Sometimes I just wear this single shade all over my lid and I'm out the door. My love for this shade cancels out all the misgivings I have about the chalkier and powdery shadows.
So I do not regret purchasing this palette at all.
 
The combination of the different finishes and the pops of colour within a fairly neutral palette makes this a really wonderful palette for beginners or people who prefer subtle natural looks.
Don't get me wrong though, this palette can definitely turn up the volume.
You can go super dark sexy smoky eye with this and you can go to fun night-outta-town looks too.
 
I really dig the idea of making the highlight shades bigger than the regular shadows, it's a good concept.
The shimmery highlight Champagne Truffle is my second love. I use this shade on my cheekbones and it reflects light in almost an ethereal way. Take my word for it, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.
 
Wearing the shadows without primer does affect the longevity of them. The powdery shades tend to fade faster than the buttery ones.
Regardless, I always use a primer (Urban Decay Primer Potion) with this palette and it lasts me about 8 hours.
 
Would I recommend this palette to a friend? HECK YEAH.
 
The Chocolate Bar Palette retails for $49 on Too Faced's website or you can also find it on HSN's website and other retailers like Sephora etc.
 
 Let me know how you guys feel about this palette in the comments!
 



Comments

Popular Posts