La Girl Matte Pigment Glosses Review + Swatches (Fantasy, Fleur, Playful & Instinct)


Hello my loves!

Lately there's been a LOT of hype about liquid lipsticks and everywhere you look, some company is coming out with new ones.
Today I'm gonna review for you a few of the "Matte Pigment Glosses" from La Girl cosmetics.

The shades I have are:


Fantasy
Fleur





 
 
 
Playful
Instinct
 
 Let's just talk packaging for a sec. I absolutely love the sleek hard plastic tube. It's definitely sturdy. Although some of the product stained mine when I was using Instinct  (oopsie!)
That'll come right off though, so no worries.
 
The applicator is a regular doe-foot type applicator except that it's flattened more and the fibres are really really minuscule.
To be quite frank, I thought the doe foot applicator would make this a cinch to apply.....that's not really the case.
 
If you're a beginner to liquid lipstick, then you're going to want to be super duper careful. It's ridiculously easy to smear the product and make a gigantic mess.
The applicator on it's own won't give you a sharp neat look if that's what you're going for.
I'd advise lining your lips first for sure.
 
From L-R: Fantasy, Fleur, Playful, Instinct


Now guys and gals, let's talk about shade selection.
There are 16 shades in the entire collection and you can find them all on La Girl's site here :)
They widely range from nudes to pinks to reds to purples and to vampy shades.
So there's a little something for everyone (which I love) :3

On to some swatches!!

Taken in Natural Light
Top - Bottom: Fantasy, Fleur, Playful, Instinct
 

Taken With Flash
Top - Bottom: Fantasy, Fleur, Playful, Instinct
 
 
Fantasy is the lightest shade in the bunch and it's a baby pink nude with peachy undertones. It would look uh-mazing on fair skin tones!
The opacity isn't that good sadly. The product was very streaky and patchy. This shade takes a while to build and when applying a second layer, the first layer is disturbed resulting in an unflattering finish.
*When applying Fantasy, the product irritated my lips and stung a little bit. I couldn't keep it on for very long.
 
Fleur is a dusty rose nude and would definitely complement all skin tones! I have to say that this one is my favourite.
This shade was also patchy but easier to work with than Fantasy. The opacity was pretty good but not 100%
 
Playful is a bright, bold pink that is definitely a statement colour. This colour is an in-your-face type shade. The formula was streaky and patchy. If you smacked your lips together while wearing this one and it didn't dry completely you're gonna end up with a sticky mess. 
The opacity is okay, but while swiping the applicator on your lips, the product moves out of place and gives a sloppy appearance.
 
Instinct is a gorgeous orange-red! I feel like everyone should own an orangey red. The formula of Instinct is very similar to Playful, except the opacity is amazing and it's not streaky at all. Formula wise, Instinct is the best out of all the shades I got. It applies beautifully and is so rich and pigmented. If you smudge or go out of your natural lip line, you better work fast to clean up that mistake because it stains. Once it dries, Instinct is here to stay.
 
I've noticed that the darker the shade, the better the formula.
The light shades are streaky and patchy whereas the dark shades are much less so.
 
These are all true to their name and most certainly dry matte within 5-7 seconds.
In fact it can be so drying that if you have chapped lips (like me), they emphasize on your cracked lips. So just to be safe, I put a matte lip balm over them.
If you smush your lips together, the product becomes very sticky and trust me you DON'T want that. It's so uncomfortable (been there, done that).
These also mess up my teeth easier than my normal lipsticks.
Always double check if you have lipstick on your teeth ;)
 
What I like about these lipsticks are that they're matte, dry pretty fast & last about 6 hours.
Also they retail for like $5 which is wonderful (Who doesn't like saving money?).
 
What I don't like is the patchiness and streaky application.
There's also a chemical smell but it's gone within 5 minutes tops.
 
All in all, I'd rate these a 3/5.
Would I repurchase? Maybe.
 
I'm not completely sold on these yet. I'd like to try a few more simply because the colour selection is astounding but I'm not such a fan of the formula. 
Initially, I wasn't going to buy any because of the name. (Odd, I know right lol).
I do not like lipglosses. So naturally, when I heard pigment "gloss" I immediately dismissed it.
I can assure you that these aren't glossy and aren't lip glosses. I don't know why La Girl chose this name lol.
(Not that I'm bashing them, La Girl is actually one of my all time fave drugstore brands; I just find the name of these lipsticks whimsical).
 
 
What do you guys think? I know lots of people rave about them but I'm kind of meh....
Oh! And did anyone experience any irritation with any shade like I did with Fantasy?
 
Let me know in the comments below!
Love y'all
 
xxx


Comments

Popular Posts